Maharashtra Board Botany Syllabus for Class 12
Maharashtra Board Syllabus for Class 12 Botany
Section I – BOTANY
Unit 1: Genetics and Evolution
Chapter 1 - Genetic Basis of Inheritance:
Mendelian inheritance. Deviations from Mendelian ratio (gene interaction- incomplete dominance,
co-dominance, multiple alleles and Inheritance of blood groups), Pleiotropy, Elementary idea of
Chapter 2 - Gene: its nature, expression and regulation:
Modern concept of gene in brief-cistron, muton and recon. DNA as genetic material, structure of
DNA as given by Watson and Cricks model, DNA Packaging, semi conservative replication of
RNA: General structure types and functions.
Protein Synthesis; central dogma, Transcription; Translation-Genetic Code,
Gene Expression and Gene Regulation (The Lac operon as a typical model of gene regulation).
Unit 2: Biotechnology and its application
Chapter 3 - Biotechnology: Process and Application
Genetic engineering (Recombinant DNA technology):
Transposons, Plasmids, Bacteriophages; Producing Restriction Fragments,
Preparing and cloning a DNA Library, Gene Amplification (PCR).
Application of Biotechnology in Agriculture – BT crops
Biosafety Issues (Biopiracy and patents)
Unit 3: Biology and Human Welfare
Chapter 4 - Enhancement in Food Production:
Plant Breeding -
Tissue Culture: Concept of Cellular Totipotency,
Requirements of Tissue Culture (in brief), Callus Culture, Suspension Culture.
Single Cell Protein. Biofortification
Chapter 5 - Microbes in Human Welfare:
Microbes in Household food processing
Microbes in Industrial Production.
Microbes in Sewage Treatment.
Microbes in Biogas (energy) Production.
Microbes as Biocontrol Agents.
Microbes as Biofertilizers.
Unit 4: Plant Physiology
Chapter 6 - Photosynthesis:
Site of Photosynthesis
Photosynthetic Pigments and their role.
Light-Dependent Reactions (Cyclic and non-cyclic photophosphorylation)
Light-Independent Reactions (C3 and C4 Pathways)
Chemiosmotic hypothesis, Photorespiration, Factors affecting Photosynthesis. Law of limiting
Chapter 7 - Respiration:
ATP as currency of Energy
Mechanism of Aerobic (Glycolysis, TCA Cycle and Electron Transport System) and Anaerobic
Exchange of gases
Amphibolic pathway. Respiratory quotient of Nutrients.
Significance of Respiration.
Unit 5: Reproduction in Organisms
Chapter 8 - Reproduction in Plants:
Modes of Reproduction (Asexual and Sexual).
Asexual reproduction; uniparental modes-vegetative propagation, micropropagation
Sexual Reproduction: structure of flower Development of male gametophyte,
Structure of anatropous ovule.
Development of female Gametophyte.
Pollination: Types and Agencies.
Outbreeding devices; pollen-pistil interaction.
Double Fertilization: Process and Significance.
Post-fertilization changes (development of endosperm and embryo, development of seed and
formation of fruit)
Special modes-apomixis, parthenocarpy, polyembryony. Significance of seed and fruit
Unit 6: Ecology and Environment
Chapter 9: Organisms and Environment -I
Habitat and Niche
Ecosystems: Patterns, components, productivity and decomposition, energy flow; pyramids of
number, biomass, energy; nutrient cycling (carbon and phosphorous).
Ecological succession, Ecological services-carbon fixation, pollination, oxygen release.
Environmental issues: agrochemicals and their effects, solid waste management, Green house
effect and global warming, ozone depletion, deforestation, case studies (any two).
Maharashtra Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Maharashtra Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Maharashtra Board Syllabus for class 12 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 History 2005
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Hindi 2013-SET-4
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Chemistry 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Social Science 2013-SET-3
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Book keeping & Accountancy 2013-SET-4
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 English Core 2007
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Introductory Information Technology 2013-SET-2
- CBSE Board Class 12 Entrepreneurship 2010
- CBSE Board Class 11 Chemistry 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Geography 2008
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Computer Science 2010
- CBSE Board Class 11 Functional English 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biotechnology 2011
- CBSE Board Class 11 Business Studies 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 Functional English 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Physics 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sociology 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Core 2010
- CBSE Board Class 11 Business Studies 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Sanskrit
- West Bengal Board Class 11 Syllabus For Political Science
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Malayalam(Special)
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Biotechnology
- Haryana Board Class 10 Punjabi
- Haryana Board Class 10 Melodic
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Functional English
- ICSE Board Class 9 Chemistry
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Chemistry
- Rajasthan Board Class 9 Social Science