Maharashtra Board Botany Syllabus for Class 11
Maharashtra Board Syllabus for Class 11 Botany
Section I - Botany
Unit 1 Diversity in Living World:
Chapter 1- Diversity in organisms
1. Diversity in living organisms-Brief idea.
2. Systematic and binomial system of nomenclature - meaning of the terms taxonomy, systematics,
classification and nomenclature, Need of classification. Three domains of life, Concept of species.
Taxonomic hierarchy with examples. Binomial nomenclature explanation, significance and
3. Classification of living organisms (five Kingdom classification) – Major groups and principles of
classification for each Kingdom with examples.
4. Lichens - Meaning, characters, examples and importance.
5. Viruses and viroids - Definitions, characters, types with examples, Economic importance and list
of viral diseases.
Chapter 2 - Kingdom Plantae
1. Salient features of major plant groups - Algae, Bryophyta, Pteridophyta, Gymnosperms and
Angiosperms (Dicotyledons and Monocotyledons). Three to five salient features and two examples
of each category.
2. Botanical gardens and herbaria - Meaning, importance and list of gardens and herbaria in India.
Unit 2 Structure and function of cell
Chapter 3 - Biochemistry of cell:
1. Basic chemical constituents of living bodies.
2. Structure and function of carbohydrates, proteins, lipids and nucleic acids in brief.
3. Enzymes - Definition, Types, general properties, Enzyme action and factors affecting enzyme
activity in brief.
Chapter 4 Cell Division
1. Cell cycle
Unit 3 Structural organization in plants:
Chapter 5 - Morphology of Plants
1. Morphology, anatomy and functions of different parts - Roots, stem, leaf, inflorescence,
flower, fruit and seed. (To be dealt along with the relevant practicals of the practical
2. Plant tissues.
Unit 4 Plant Physiology:
Chapter 6 - Plant Water Relation and Mineral Nutrition
1. Movement of water, food, nutrients and gases.- Absorption of water and minerals,Apoplast
and Symplast Pathways. Active and passive absorption in brief.
Ascent of sap, root pressure concept and cohesion - tension theory.
Translocation of sugars through phloem brief account.
Transpiration – structure of stomata, mechanism of opening and closing of stomata, Role of K
3. Role of water and minerals - macronutrients and micronutrients and their role. Mineral deficiency
symptoms, Mineral toxicity, Elementary idea of Hydroponics, Nitrogen Metabolism (nitrogen
cycle, biological nitrogen fixation)
Chapter 7 - Plant Growth and Development:
Germination - Hypogeal, epigeal and viviparous.
Definition and characteristics of growth.
Phases of growth, Conditions of growth, Differentiation, de- differentiation, redifferentiation
Sequence of developmental process in a plant cell
Growth regulators - auxins, gibberellins, cytokinines, ethylene and abscissic acid (role in brief)
Photoperiodism, Photomorphogenesis including brief account of Phytochromes (Elementary
Maharashtra Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Maharashtra Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Maharashtra Board Syllabus for class 11 Now
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Entrepreneurship 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sociology 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 Economics 2007
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12th Economics Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2009
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2010
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Malayalam
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Biology
- Haryana Board Class 12 Physical Education
- ICSE Board Class 11 Chemistry
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Physics
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Urdu Core
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Physics
- Maharashtra Board Class 12 Physics
- Maharashtra Board Class 12 Biology
- Maharashtra Board Class 11 Physics syllabus