ICSE Board Class 9 Physics Sample Papers 2008
ICSE Board Sample Papers 2008 for Class 9 Physics
Class – IX
Subject – Physics
Section – I (40 Marks)
Note :- This section is compulsory. Answer all the questions from this section.
Question – 1.
(a)Give two differences between distance and displacement.
(b) What do you understand the term acceleration due to gravity ? Write its value in C.G.S. and S.I. units.
(c) A car, initially at rest, picks up a velocity of 72 kmhr-1, over a distance of 25 m.
Calculate (i) acceleration of car (ii) time in which it picks up above velocity.
(d) State Newton’s third law of motion and give two examples.
(e) Why is automobile tyres provided with rough surface ? Explain.
(f) A force of 1600 dynes acts on a rigid body, such that the perpendicular distance
between force and turning point is 40 cm. Calculate the moment of force.
(g) Is it possible to have a body, whose centre of gravity is outside the body ? If so, then
give an example.
(h) State Pascal’s law of transmission of pressure in a liquid.
(i) Why does a ship made of iron not sink in water, while an iron nail sinks in it ?
(j) Convert – 40ºC into Fahrenheit Scale. [Ans. – 40º F ]
(k) Why does a thick glass tumbler crack when boiling water is poured in it ?
(l) Name four properties of a radiant heat.
(m) State two advantages of a pin hole camera.
(n) State two characteristics of wave motion.
(o) On the basis of electron model explain : what are conductors ? Give four examples of
(p) What do you understand by the term electric cell ?
(q) What are magnetic keepers ? What are they used for ?
(r) A charge of 100 C flows through a conductor for three minutes and 20 seconds. Find
the magnitude of current flowing through conductor.
(s) The frequency of a tuning fork is 500 Hz. Calculate the time period.
(t) Calculate the increase in length of brass rod, which measures 200 cm at 20ºC, when it
is heated to 880ºC. [a for brass = 0.000018/ºC]. Also calculate the overall length at
Section – II (40 Marks)
Answer ANY FOUR questions from this section.
Question – 2.
(a) Prove that S = ut + 1/2at2, where u = initial velocity, v = final velocity, t = time taken
to change the velocity, S = distance covered in time t and a = acceleration.
(b) What do you understand by the term inertia ? Give two examples of inertia.
(c) State the position of C.G. in case of the following regular bodies :
(i) A triangle (ii) A rectangle (iii) A circle
(iv) A square (v) A cylinder (vi) A sphere.
Question – 3.
(a) State three factors on which the pressure at a point in a liquid depends.
(b) The blood pressure reading of a patient is recorded 160/100. Express the lower
pressure in SI units. [Take density of mercury as 13.6×103 kgm-3 and g = 10 ms-2.]
(c) State the principle of floatation. While floating, is the weight of body greater than,
equal to or less than up-thrust.
Question – 4.
(a) Define the terms (i) coefficient of linear expansion (ii) coefficient of superficial
expansion (iii) coefficient of cubical expansion. State the unit for each of terms.
(b) A deep pond of water has its top layer frozen during winter. What will be the likely
temperature of water layer (i) just in contact with ice (ii) at the bottom of pond ?
(c) Name the process of transmission of heat. By which process does the heat of sun
reach us ?
Question – 5.
(a) Why do not birds flying high cast their shadows ? Illustrate your answer with a neat
(b) What must be the minimum length of a plane mirror in which a person can see
himself full length ? Draw a diagram to justify your answer. Does the distance of person
from the mirror affect the above answer ?
(c) Why does a driver use a convex mirror as a rear view mirror ? Illustrate your answer
with the help of ray diagram.
Question – 6.
(a) State four differences between the sound wave and the light wave.
(b) Describe and explain what happens when a charged rod is brought close to an
uncharged metal sphere, suspended by a silk thread.
(c) What causes lightning ? How is a high rise building protected from lightning ?
Question – 7.
(a) Define the term potential difference. How is it related to work done and quantity of
(b) What is series circuit ? State two characteristics of resistance in the series circuit.
(c) Draw a diagram showing two bulbs connected in series to a dry cell.
Question – 8.
(a) What is magnetic induction? Explain it giving a suitable experiment.
(b) Give short account of the earth’s magnetic field.
(c) Describe, how you will proceed to determine the position of the pole of a bar magnet.
ICSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with ICSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on ICSE Board Sample Question Paper for class 9 Now
Board Sample Paper
- ICSE Board Class 10 Physics 2008
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Biology 2007
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Business Studies 2013-SET-4
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Economics 2013-SET-2
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Math 2013-SET-3
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2007
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Commerce Sample paper 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 English Core 2013-SET-2
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Yoga 2008
- West Bengal Board Class 10 English Core Sample Paper Of 2011
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12th Political Science Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 9 Math 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Chemistry 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Political Science 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Accountancy 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Chemistry 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Geography 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Psychology 2005
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Physics
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 Sociology
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 11 Political Science
- West Bengal Board Class 12 Geography
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 History
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Persian
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 11 Economics
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Tamil(special)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Painting
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 10 Agriculture