ICSE Board Business Studies Syllabus for Class 11
ICSE Board Syllabus for Class 11 Business Studies
There will be one paper of 3 hours duration of 100 marks and divided into 2 parts.
Part 1 (30 marks) will consist of compulsory short answer questions testing knowledge, application andskills relating to elementary / fundamental aspects of
the entire syllabus.
Part 2 (70 marks) will consist of seven questions out of which the candidate will be required to answer fivequestions, each carrying 14 marks.
1. The Office Specific Objectives - At the end of this section pupils should be able to -
• understand the process of evolution of the modern office
• describe the functions of an office.
• enlist various services essential for the functioning of an office.
• differentiate between centralisation and decentralisation of office services.
• identify and define functions of various departments of a large office.
(i) Meaning and evolution of the modern office.
(ii) Functions of an office.
(iii) Office services - secretarial support, record management, distribution of mail, control of stationery, reception, operation of switchboards, duplicating and copying, etc.
(iv) Centralisation or decentralisation of office services.
(v) Departments in a large office: production; personnel; marketing; finance and accounting; secretarial.
(vi) Role of the office as an information processing centre.
(vii) Office Manager: functions and his qualities.
2. Office Accommodation and Environment Specific Objectives: At the end of this section pupils should be able to -
• explain the factors to be considered at the time of selecting an office accommodation.
• identify the principles and purposes of an office layout.
• describe the advantages and defects of open and private office layouts.
• describe the special features of landscaped office.
• state the environmental factors that affect the working in an office.
(i) Meaning of office accommodation.
(ii) Principles and factors involved in the selection of office site.
(iii) Office layout: meaning; purposes; principles; steps; types.
(iv) Physical factors: outline of the effects of - lighting, ventilation, noise, cleanliness, etc. on the office work.
3. Organising an Office
Specific Objectives: at the end of this section, pupils should be able to –
• define the term organisation.
• explain the principles of organisation.
• state the steps in organising an office.
• explain the meaning of departmentalisation.
• identify the basis of methods of departmentalisation.
• identify the types of organisation and explain their features.
• compare and contrast the types of organisations.
(i) Meaning and importance of organisation.
(ii) Steps in organisation of office.
(iii) Principles of organisation.
(iv) Types of organisations - line, functional, line and staff, committee.
(v) Features of the above organisation structures.
(vi) Meaning of departmentalisation.
(vii)Methods of departmentalisation (function,territory, process, production or service).
(viii)Visual presentation of - organisation;structure (organisation chart - meaning,purpose and type of organisation charts).
4. Authority and Responsibility Specific Objectives: At the end of this section pupils should be able to -
• define the terms Authority, Responsibility and Accountability.
• distinguish between the above terms.
• state the sources of authority.
• explain the meaning of and principles of delegation of authority.
• distinguish between the centralisation and decentralisation of authority.
• explain the meaning and purposes of office manuals.
(i) Meaning of - authority; responsibility; accountability and their inter-relationship.
(ii) Sources of authority.
(iii)Meaning of delegation.
(iv) Principles/rules of delegation of authority.
(v) Distinction between centralisation and decentralisation of authority.
(vi) Office manuals.
5. Office Records Management Specific Objectives: At the end of this section pupils should be able to -
• identify the major features of a good records management.
• identify and compare the different methods of main filing classification.
• describe different types of filing and indexing equipment.
• appreciate the concept of electronic filing.
• describe the different types of micro form storage.
• explain the main features of microfilm equipment.
• outline a procedure for filing.
• explain follow-up procedures and absent file records.
• explain the need for retention and destruction policies for records.
(i) Meaning of Records Management and its essential features.
(ii) Filing - characteristics of a good filing system; classification of records for filing (alphabetical, numerical, etc.); modern methods vertical,horizontal,lateral and suspension; equipment; types of files; filing routine; disposal of obsolete documents.
(iii) Indexing: importance; types - page index, card index, strip index, rotary index.
(iv) Micro-filing: merits and demerits; types - roll film, fiche, jackets, etc.
(v) Meaning of electronic filing
6. Office Reprography Specific Objectives: At the end of this section the pupils should be able to -
• distinguish between different types of reprographic processes.
• describe different duplication processes.
• describe different types of copiers.
• suggest appropriate reprographic equipment for different tasks.
• explain the benefits of in-house printing.
• describe the features of different types of printing.
• explain the uses of carbon paper and other methods of carbon copying.
• explain the features and uses of printing typewriters.
(i) Methods of duplicating: spirits or hectograph; stencil or mimeograph/ink; offset lithography.
(ii) Types of photocopying; reflex, diazo, electrostatic, dual spectrum etc.
(iii) Printing: considerations for the choice between in-house and outside printing; offsetprinting and letter press printing.
(iv) Typewriters: manual; electric; automatic; electronic.
7. Office Automation Specific Objectives: At the end of this section pupils should be able to -
• explain the difference between office automation and office mechanisation.
• explain the benefits and difficulties of office automation.
• explain the use of computers, calculators, adding machines in office automation.
• appreciate the terms used in automation.
(i) Meaning of office automation.
(ii) Merits and demerits of office automation.
(iii) Uses of - adding and listing machines; calculators; cash registers; computers.
(iv) Components of computers for processing data: input units; central processing unit; output units; backing store.
(v) Elementary knowledge of the types of computers: main frame, mini, micro
ICSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with ICSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on ICSE Board Syllabus for class 11 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Math 2009
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Accountancy 2011
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Chemistry 2011
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Social Science 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2010
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Chemistry 2008
- CBSE Board Class 10 Business Studies 2011
- CBSE Board Psychology Sample Papers for Class 10 for year 2011
- Tamilnadu Board Class 10 Social Science Sample Paper Of 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 Science 2009
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 11 Political Science 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Physics 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Home Science 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Fashion Studies 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Core 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 Computer Science 2008
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Political Science 2005
- CBSE Board Class 9 Syllabus For English Core
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Malayalam
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Biology
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Business Studies
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Physics
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Urdu (special)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 French
- ICSE Board Class 11 Geography
- Haryana Board Class 10 Computer Science
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 11 Hindi (Special Language)