Gujarat Board Social Science Syllabus for Class 9
Gujarat Board Syllabus for Class 9 Social Science
Gujarat Board Syllabus
Class 9 Social Science
Unit 1 : India and the Contemporary world – II (45 Periods)
Any two themes from each of the first two sub-units and one from the third could be studied.
Sub-unit 1.1 : Events and processes.
In this unit the focus is on three events and processes that have in major ways shaped the identity of the modern world. Each represents a different form of politics, and a specific combination of forces. One event is linked to the growth of liberalism and democracy, one with socialism, and one with a negation of both democracy and socialism.
1. French revolution :
(a) The Ancient Regime and its crises.
(b) The social forces that led to the revolution.
(c) The different revolutionary groups and ideas of the time.
(d) The legacy.
2. Russian Revolution.
(a) The crises of Tzarism.
(b) The nature of social movements between 1905 and 1917.
(c) The First World War and foundation of Soviet state. (d) The legacy.
3. Rise of Nazism.
(a) The growth of social democracy
(b) The crises in Germany.
(c) The basis of Hitler's rise to power.
(d) The ideology of Nazism.
(e) The impact of Nazism.
Sub-unit 1.2 : Economies and Livelihoods
The themes in this section will focus on how different social groups grapple with the changes in the contemporary world and how these changes affect their lives.
4. Pastoralists in the modern world.
(a) Pastoralism as a way of life.
(b) Different forms of pastoralism.
(c) What happens to pastoralism under colonialism and modern states?
Case studies : focus on two pastoral groups, one from Africa and one from India.
5. Forest society and colonialism :
(a) Relationship between forests and livelihoods.
(b) Changes in forest societies under colonialism.
Case studies : focus on two forest movements one in colonial India (Bastar) and one in Indonesia.
6. Farmers and peasants :
(a) Histories of the emergence of different forms of farming and peasant societies.
(b)Changes within rural economies in the modern world.
Case studies : focus on contrasting forms of rural change and different forms of rural societies (expansion of large-scale wheat
and cotton farming in USA, rural economy and the Agricultural Revolution in England, and small peasant production in colonial India)
Sub-unit 1.3 : Culture, Identity and Society
The themes in this unit will consider how issues of culture are linked up to the making of contemporary world.
7. Sports and politics :
The story of cricket
(a) The emergence of cricket as an English sport.
(b) Cricket and colonialism.
(c) Cricket nationalism and de-colonialization.
8. Clothes and cultures.
(a) A short history of changes in clothing.
(b) Debates over clothing in colonial India.
(c) Swadeshi and the movement for Khadi.
Sub-unit 1.4 : Map Work. (2 Marks).
Unit 2 : India - Land and the People
1. India : location, relief, structure, major physiographic units.
2. Climate : factors influencing the climate; monsoon- its characteristics, rainfall and temperature distribution; seasons; climate and human life.
3. Drainage : major rivers and tributaries, lakes and seas, role of rivers in the economy, pollution of rivers, measures to control river pollution.
4. Natural Vegetation : vegetation types, distribution as well as altitudinal variation, need for conservation and various measures.
5. Wildlife : major species, their distribution, need for conservation and various measures.
6. Population : size, distribution, age-sex composition, population change-migration as a determinant of population change, literacy, health, occupational structure and national population policy : adolescents as under-served population group with special needs.
Gujarat Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Gujarat Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Gujarat Board Syllabus for class 9 Now
Board Sample Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Fashion Studies 2010
- CBSE Board Class 9 Social Science 2005
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Chemistry 2008
- CBSE Board Class 10 Math 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 Economics 2007
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Science 2013-SET-4
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 History 2009
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Geography 2010
- CBSE Board Class 10 Home Science 2009
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Physics 2013-SET-2
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Psychology 2010
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Core 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2010
- CBSE Board Class 11 Biology 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies Previous Year Question Paper 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Computer Science 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Elective 2010
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2007
- ICSE Board Class 10 Computer Science
- Manipur Board Class 9 Paite
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Telugu
- CBSE Board 12th Business Studies Syllabus
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Biology
- Haryana Board Class 10 Punjabi
- Haryana Board Class 12 Economics
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Marathi
- CBSE Board 12th Physics Syllabus
- Haryana Board Class 8 Hindi