Gujarat Board Science Syllabus for Class 10
Gujarat Board Syllabus for Class 10 Science
Theme : Materials (55 Periods)
Unit 1 : Chemical Substances - Nature and Behaviour
Acids, bases and salts : Their definitions in terms of furnishing of H+ and OH— ions, General properties, examples and uses, concept of pH scale (Definition relating to logarithm not required), importance of pH in everyday life; preparation and uses of sodium hydroxide, Bleaching powder, Baking soda, washing soda and Plaster of Paris.
Chemical reactions : Chemical Equation, Balanced chemical equation, Implications of a balanced Chemical equation, Types of chemical reactions : combination, decomposition, displacement, double displacement, precipitation, neutralization, oxidation and reduction.
Metals and non metals : Properties of Metals and Non-metals, reactivity series, Formation and properties of ionic compounds, Basic Metallurgical processes, corrosion and its prevention.
Carbon Compounds : Covalent bonding in carbon compounds. Versatile nature of carbon, Homologous series Nomenclature of carbon compounds containing, Functional groups (halogens, alcohol, ketones, aldehydes, alkanes and alkynes), difference between saturated hydrocarbons and unsaturated hydrocarbons, Chemical properties of carbon compounds (combustion, oxidation, addition and substitution reaction). Ethanol and Ethanoic acid (only
properties and uses), soaps and detergents.
Periodic classification of elements : Need for classification, Modern Periodic table, Gradation in Properties.
Valency, Atomic number, metallic and non-metallic properties.
Theme : The world of the living (50 Periods)
Unit 2 : World of Living
Life Processes : "living being"; Basic concept of nutrition, respiration, transport and excretion in plants and animals. Control and Co-ordination in animals and plants : Tropic movements in plants; Introduction to plant hormones; control and co-ordination in animals : nervous system; voluntary, involuntary and reflex action, chemical co-ordination : animal hormones.
Reproduction : Reproduction in animal and plants (asexual and sexual). Reproductive health-need for and methods of family planning. Safe sex vs HIV/AIDS. Child bearing and women's health.
Heredity and evolution : Heredity; Model's contribution- Rules for inheritance of traits; Sex determination: brief introduction; Basic concepts of evolution.
Theme : How things work. (35 Periods)
Unit 3 : Effects of Current
Electric currecnt, potential difference and electric current. Ohm's law; Resistance, Resistivity, Factors on which the resistance of a conductor depends. Series combination of resistors, parallel combination of resistors and its applications in daily life ; Heating effect of Electric current and its applications in daily life. Electric Power, Inter relation between P, V, I and R.
Magnetic effects of current : Magnetic field, field lines, field due to a current carrying conductor, field due to current carrying coil or solenoid; Force on current carrying conductor, Fleming's left hand rule. Electro magnetic induction. Induced potential difference, Induced current, Fleming's Right Hand Rule, Direct current. Alternating current; frequency of AC. Advantage of AC over DC. Domestic electric circuits.
Theme : Natural Phenomena (20 Periods)
Unit 4 : Reflection of light at curved surfaces, Images formed by spherical mirrors, centre of curvature, principal axis, principal
focus, focal length. Mirror Formula (Derivation not required), Magnification.
Refraction; laws of refraction, refractive index.
Refraction of light by spherical lens, Image formed by spherical lenses, Lens formula (Derivation not required), Magnification. Power of a lens; Functioning of a lens in human eye, defects of vision and their corrections, applications of spherical mirrors and lenses.
Refraction of light through a prism, dispersion of light, scattering of light, applications in daily life.
Theme : Natural Resources (20 Periods)
Unit 5 : Management of natural resources : Management of natural resources. Conservation and judicious use of natural resources. Forest and wild life, coal and petroleum conservation. Examples of People's participation for conservation of natural resources.
The Regional environment : Big dams : advantages and limitations; alternatives if any. Water harvesting. Sustainability of natural resources.
Sources of energy : Different forms of energy, conventional and non-conventional sources of energy: fossil fuels, solar energy; biogas; wind, water and tidal energy; nuclear. Renewable versus non-renewable sources.
Our Environment : Eco-system, Environmental problems, Ozone depletion, waste production and their solutions. Biodegradable and non-biodegradable, substances.
Gujarat Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Gujarat Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Gujarat Board Syllabus for class 10 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Tamilnadu Board Class 10 Science Sample Paper Of 2011
- Gujarat Board Class 9 Social Science 2007
- ICSE Board Class 10 Biology 2005
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Biology 2013
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 History 2013-SET-3
- CBSE Board Class 11 Economics 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sample Paper of Biology For 2007
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Chemistry 2008
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 10 English Literature 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 Geography 2005
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Core 2005
- CBSE Board 12 Political Science Previous Year Question Paper 2008
- CBSE Board 12 Business Studies Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 Science 2009
- CBSE Board Class 10 Functional English 2005
- CBSE Board Class 11 Math 2011
- CBSE Board Class 11 Geography 2010
- CBSE Board Class 11 Biology 2005
- Haryana Board Class 12 Geography
- West Bengal Board Class 12 Syllabus For Psychology
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 Computer Science
- Haryana Board Class 10 Percussion
- Manipur Board Class 10 Hmar
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Music (Hindustani Vocal)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Social Science
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Psychology
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 11 Bengali(Special)
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Business Studies