Gujarat Board Math Syllabus for Class 10
Gujarat Board Syllabus for Class 10 Math
UNIT I : NUMBER SYSTEMS
1. REAL NUMBERS (15) Periods
Euclid's division lemma, Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic - statements after reviewing work done earlier and after illustrating and motivating through examples, Proofs of results - irrationality of √2, √3, √5, decimal expansions of rational numbers in terms of terminating/non-terminating recurring decimals.
UNIT II : ALGEBRA
1. POLYNOMIALS (6) Periods
Zeros of a polynomial. Relationship between zeros and coefficients of quadratic polynomials. Statement and simple problems on division algorithm for polynomials with real coefficients.
2. PAIR OF LINEAR EQUATIONS IN TWO VARIABLES (15) Periods
Pair of linear equations in two variables and their graphical solution. Geometric representation of different possibilities of solutions/inconsistency.
Algebraic conditions for number of solutions. Solution of pair of linear equations in two variables algebraically - by substitution, by elimination and by cross multiplication. Simple situational problems must be included. Simple problems on equations reducible to linear equations may be included.
3. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS (15) Periods
Standard form of a quadratic equation ax2 + bx + c = 0, (a ≠ 0). Solution of the quadratic equations (only real roots) by factorization, by completing the square and by using quadratic formula. Relationship between discriminate and nature of roots.
Problems related to day to day activities to be incorporated.
4. ARITHMETIC PROGRESSIONS (8) Periods
Motivation for studying AP. Derivation of standard results of finding the nth term and sum of first n terms.
UNIT III : TRIGONOMETRY
1. INTRODUCTION TO TRIGONOMETRY (12) Periods
Trigonometric ratios of an acute angle of a right-angled triangle. Proof of their existence (well defined); motivate the ratios, whichever are defined at 0o & 90o. Values (with proofs) of the trigonometric ratios of 30o, 45o & 60o. Relationships between the ratios.
2. TRIGONOMETRIC IDENTITIES (16) Periods
Proof and applications of the identity sin2 A + cos2A = 1. Only simple identities to be given. Trigonometric ratios of complementary angles.
3. HEIGHTS AND DISTANCES (8) Periods
Simple and believable problems on heights and distances. Problems should not involve more than two right triangles. Angles of elevation / depression should be only 30o, 45o, 60o.
UNIT IV : COORDINATE GEOMETRY
1. LINES (In two-dimensions) (15) Periods
Review the concepts of coordinate geometry done earlier including graphs of linear equations. Awareness of geometrical representation of quadratic polynomials. Distance between two points and section formula (internal). Area of a triangle.
UNIT V : GEOMETRY
1. TRIANGLES (15) Periods
Definitions, examples, counter examples of similar triangles.
1. (Prove) If a line is drawn parallel to one side of a triangle to intersect the other two sides in distinct points, the other two sides are divided in the same ratio.
2. (Motivate) If a line divides two sides of a triangle in the same ratio, the line is parallel to the third side.
3. (Motivate) If in two triangles, the corresponding angles are equal, their corresponding sides are proportional and the triangles are similar.
4. (Motivate) If the corresponding sides of two triangles are proportional, their corresponding angles are equal and the two triangles are similar.
5. (Motivate) If one angle of a triangle is equal to one angle of another triangle and the sides including these angles are proportional, the two triangles are similar.
6. (Motivate) If a perpendicular is drawn from the vertex of the right angle of a right triangle to the hypotenuse, the triangles on each side of the perpendicular are similar to the whole triangle and to each other.
7. (Prove) The ratio of the areas of two similar triangles is equal to the ratio of the squares on their corresponding sides.
8. (Prove) In a right triangle, the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides.
9. (Prove) In a triangle, if the square on one side is equal to sum of the squares on the other two sides, the angles opposite to the first side is a right traingle.
2. CIRCLES (8) Periods
Tangents to a circle motivated by chords drawn from points coming closer and closer to the point.
1. (Prove) The tangent at any point of a circle is perpendicular to the radius through the point of contact.
2. (Prove) The lengths of tangents drawn from an external point to circle are equal.
3. CONSTRUCTIONS (8) Periods
1. Division of a line segment in a given ratio (internally)
2. Tangent to a circle from a point outside it.
3. Construction of a triangle similar to a given triangle.
UNIT VI : MENSURATION
1. AREAS RELATED TO CIRCLES (12) Periods
Motivate the area of a circle; area of sectors and segments of a circle. Problems based on areas and perimeter / circumference of the above said plane figures. (In calculating area of segment of a circle, problems should be restricted to central angle of 60o, 90o & 120o only. Plane figures involving triangles, simple quadrilaterals and circle should be taken.)
2. SURFACE AREAS AND VOLUMES (12) Periods
(i) Problems on finding surface areas and volumes of combinations of any two of the following: cubes, cuboids, spheres, hemispheres and right circular cylinders/cones. Frustum of a cone.
(ii) Problems involving converting one type of metallic solid into another and other mixed problems. (Problems with combination of not more than two different solids be taken.)
UNIT VII : STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY
1. STATISTICS (15) Periods
Mean, median and mode of grouped data (bimodal situation to be avoided). Cumulative frequency graph.
2. PROBABILITY (10) Periods
Classical definition of probability. Connection with probability as given in Class IX. Simple problems on single events, not using set notation.
INTERNAL ASSESSMENT 20 Marks
Evaluation of activities 10 Marks
Project Work 05 Marks
Continuous Evaluation 05 Marks
Gujarat Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Gujarat Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Gujarat Board Syllabus for class 10 Now
Board Sample Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Geography 2008
- ICSE Board Class 10 Chemistry 2011
- CBSE Board Class 10 Chemistry 2010
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Science 2013-SET-2
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Biology 2007
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Hindi (Special Language) 2013-SET-3
- Tamilnadu Board Class 12 Geography Sample Paper Of 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Math 2013
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Economics 2007
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Biology 2013
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 11 Chemistry 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 Computer Science 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Functional English 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 Math 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Accountancy 2005
- CBSE Board Class 11 Geography 2007
- CBSE Board 12 Biology Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2005
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 10 Math 2011
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Accountancy
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 Computer Science
- West Bengal Board Class 9 Syllabus For Science
- West Bengal Board 2013 Class 12 Physics
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Entrepreneurship
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Gujarati (special)
- CBSE Board 12th Entrepreneurship Syllabus
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Syllabus of Chemistry
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Scouting & guide
- CBSE Board Class 11 Social Science Business Studies