Gujarat Board Geography Syllabus for Class 11
Gujarat Board Syllabus for Class 11 Geography
Unit-1: Geography as a Discipline (Periods 3)
-Geography as an integrating discipline, as a science of spatial attributes;
-Branches of geography; importance of physical geography.
Unit-2: The Earth (Periods 10)
-Origin and evolution of the earth; Interior of the earth;
-Wegener’s continental drift theory and plate tectonics;
-Earthquakes and volcanoes.
Unit-3: Landforms (Periods 18)
-Rocks: major types of rocks and their characteristics;
-Landforms and their evolution
-Geomorphic processes:weathering, mass wasting, erosion and deposition; soil-formation
Unit 4: Climate (Periods 30)
-Atmosphere- composition and structure; elements of weather and climate.
Insolation-angle of incidence and distribution; heat budget of the earth-heating and cooling of atmosphere (conduction, convection, terrestrial radiation and advection); temperaturefactors controlling temperature; distribution of temperature-horizontal and vertical; inversion of temperature.
-Pressure-pressure belts; winds-planetary, seasonal and local; air masses and fronts; tropical and extratropical cyclones.
-Precipitation-evaporation; condensation-dew, frost, fog, mist and cloud; rainfall-types and world distribution.
-World climates-classification (Koeppen), greenhouse effect, global warming and climatic changes.
Unit 5: Water (Oceans) (Periods 8)
-Oceans - distribution of temperature and salinity; movements of ocean water-waves, tides and currents; submarine reliefs.
Unit 6: Life on the Earth (Periods 6)
-Biosphere - importance of plants and other organisms; biodiversity and conservation; ecosystem and ecological balance.
Unit 7: Map work on identification of features based on the above units on the outline political map of the world.
Part B. India - Physical Environment 65 Periods
Unit 8: Introduction (Periods 3)
-Location-space relations and India’s place in the world.
Unit 9: Physiography (Periods 23)
-Structure and Relief;
-Drainage systems: concept of watershed; the Himalayan and the Peninsular;
Unit 10: Climate, Vegetation and Soil (23 Periods)
-Weather and climate — spatial and temporal distribution of temperature, pressure winds and rainfall, Indian monsoon: -mechanism, onset and withdrawal, variability of rainfalls :
spatial and temporal; Climatic types (koeppen) Natural vegetation-forest types and distribution; wild life; conservation; biosphere reserves;
Soils - major types (ICAR’s classification) and their distribution, soil degradation and conservation.
Unit 11: Natural Hazards and Disasters: Causes, Consequences and Management (One case study to be introduced for each topic) (Periods 16)
-Floods and droughts
-Earthquakes and Tsunami
Unit 12: Map Work of features based on above units for locating and labelling on the Outline Political map of India.
C. Practical Work (40 Periods)
Unit 1: Fundamentals of Maps (12 Periods)
Maps -types; scales-types; construction of simple linear scale, measuring distance; finding direction and use of symbols.
Latitude, longitude and time.
Map projection- typology, construction and properties of projection : Conical with one standard parallel and Mercator’s projection.
Unit 2: Topographic and Weather Maps (28 Periods)
Study of topographic maps (1 : 50,000 or 1 : 25,000 Survey of India maps); contour cross section and identification of landforms-slopes, hills, valleys, waterfall, cliffs; distribution of settlements.
Aerial Photographs: Types & Geometry-vertical aerial photographs; difference between maps & aerial photographs; photo scale determination.
Satellite imageries, stages in remote sensing data-acquisition, platform & sensors and data products, (photographic & digital).
Identification of physical & cultural features from aerial photographs & satellite imageries.
Use of weather instruments: thermometer, wet and dry-bulb thermometer, barometer, wind vane, raingauge.
Use of weather charts: describing pressure, wind and rainfall distribution.
Gujarat Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Gujarat Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Gujarat Board Syllabus for class 11 Now
Board Sample Paper
- CBSE Board Class 9 Social Science 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2007
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Political Science 2013
- CBSE Board Class 11 Economics 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Economics 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Science 2013-SET-2
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Psychology 2011
- CBSE Board Class 11 Biology Business Studies 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sample Paper of Math For 2007
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Chemistry 2007
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2011
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Elective 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 Math 2008
- CBSE Board Class 9 Math 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Home Science 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2008
- CBSE Board Class 10 Math 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 Computer Science 2009
- CBSE Board Class 6 Science
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Informatics Practices
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 11 National, Social Service(NSS)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Urdu Core
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 French
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 10 Home Science
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Music (Hindustani Vocal)
- CBSE Board 12th Functional English Syllabus
- Haryana Board Class 12 Marketing & Salesmanship
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 Computer Science