Gujarat Board Functional English Syllabus for Class 11
Gujarat Board Syllabus for Class 11 Functional English
One Paper 3 Hours Marks: 100
1. ADVANCED READING SKILLS 20 Marks (50 Periods)
Two unseen passages (including poems) with a variety of questions including 04 marks for vocabulary such as word formation and inferring word meaning. The total range of the 2 passages, including a poem or a stanza, should be around 650-1000 words.
1) 350-500 words in length - 8 marks (for note-making and summarizing) 08
2) 300-500 words in length - 12 marks (04 marks for vocabulary)
The passages or poems could be of any one of the following types 12
(a) Factual passages e.g. instructions, descriptions, reports
(b) Discursive passages involving opinion e.g. argumentative, persuasive
(c) Literary passages e.g. poems, extracts from fiction, biography, autobiography, travelogue etc.
In the case of a poem, the text may be shorter than 200 words.
2. EFFECTIVE WRITING SKILLS 25 Marks (50 Periods)
3. THREE writing tasks as indicated below :
One out of two short writing tasks such as composing messages, notices, e-mails and factual description of people, arguing for or against a topic
(50-80 words) Note: e-mail is to be tested only as part of continuous assessment 05
4. Writing one out of two letters based on given verbal/visual input 10
a) Official letter for making inquiries, suggesting changes/ registering complaints, asking and giving information, placing orders and sending replies (80-100 words)
b) Letters to the editor on various social, national and international issues (125-150 words)
5. One out of two long and sustained writing tasks such as writing a speech or writing an article based on or verbal or a visual input (150-200 words). 10
APPLIED GRAMMAR 15 Marks (30 Periods)
A variety of questions, as listed below, may be asked to test grammar items in context (not as isolated sentences). Grammar items such as modals, determiners, voice and tense forms are being dealt with in Class XI. However, other items such as prepositions, verb forms, connectors which have
been learnt earlier would also be included.
6. Drafting questions/questionnaires based on given input 4
7. Composing a dialogue based on the given input 4
8. Testing Pronunciation, Stress and Intonation 3
9. Error correction in sentences 4
LITERATURE 30 Marks (50 Periods)
In the Literature Reader, questions will be asked to test comprehension at different levels and of different kinds such as local, global, interpretative, inferential, evaluative and extrapolatory.
10. One out of two extracts from different poems from the Literature Reader, each followed by two or three questions to test local and global comprehension of ideas and language used in the text. 4
11. Two out of three short answer questions based on different poems to test theme, setting and literary devices. It may or may not be based on the extract. (80-100words) 6
12. One out of two questions on the play from the Literature Reader to test comprehension of characters and / or their motives An extract may or may not be used (80-100 words) 5
13. Two out of three short answer questions based on different prose texts from the Literature Reader to test global comprehension of usage lexis
and meaning (80-100 words) 8
14. One out of two extended questions based on one of the prose texts in the Literature Reader to test global comprehension and for extrapolation
beyond the text (100-125 words) 7
1. Language Skillsbook - Functional English published by Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi.
2. Literature Reader - Functional English published by Central Board of Secondary Education. Delhi.
Conversation Skills 10 Marks (30 Periods)
(Listening and Speaking)
Conversation Skills will be tested both as part of Continuous Assessment and at the final
examination. Out of the 10 marks allotted for Conversation 05 marks may be used for testing listening
and 05 marks for testing speaking. The Conversation Skills Assessment Scale may be used for
The examiner will read aloud a passage based on a relevant theme or a short story. The passage may be factual or discursive. The length of the passage should be around 350 words. The examinees are expected to complete the listening comprehension tasks given in a separate sheet while listening to
the teacher. The tasks set may be gap-filling, multiple choice, true or false or short answer questions.
There may be ten different questions for half a mark each.
Narration based on a sequence of pictures. In this section the candidate will be required to use the language of narration.
Description of a picture (can be pictures of people or places)
Speaking on a given topic to test recall of a personal experience
Gujarat Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Gujarat Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Gujarat Board Syllabus for class 11 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Gujarat Board Class 9 Science 2011
- CBSE Board Class 11 Computer Science 2008
- ICSE Board Class 10 Biology 2010
- CBSE Board Class 9 Math 2009
- ICSE Board Class 10 Biology 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2005
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Social Science 2008
- West Bengal Board Class 10 Sample Paper Of History 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Accountancy 2010
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Accountancy 2009
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12th Accountancy Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Political Science 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Chemistry 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 Math 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Core 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Geography 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2008
- CBSE Board Class 9 Math 2011
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Psychology
- Maharashtra Board Class 12 Botany syllabus
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Punjabi
- CBSE Board Class 11 Physical Education
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Russian
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Hindi (Special Language)
- CBSE Board 12th Psychology Syllabus
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Informatics Practices
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Biology
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Computer Science