Gujarat Board English Core Syllabus for Class 10
Gujarat Board Syllabus for Class 10 English Core
Code No. 184
SECTION A : READING 20 Marks (30 Periods)
Questions 1 and 2 two unseen passages of total 500 words with a variety of questions including 4 marks for vocabulary.
Only prose passages will be used. One will be factual and the other will be literary.
Passage 1 - 200 words (8 marks) - Four or five comprehension questions 8 marks
Passage 2 - 300 words (12 marks)-Four or five comprehension questions and two questions on vocabulary.
Marks for vocabulary will not exceed 4 marks. 12 marks
SECTION B : WRITING 20 Marks (40 Periods)
3. Letter Writing - One letter based on provided verbal stimulus and context. 8 Marks
Type of letter : Informal: Personal such as to family and friends.
Formal : Letter of complaints, enquiries, requests, applications
4. Writing a short paragraph on a given outline / topic in about 60 words 4 Marks
5. Composition : A short writing task based on a verbal and / or visual stimulus. (diagram, picture, graph, map, chart, table, flow chart etc.) Maximum words 80 8 Marks
SECTION C : GRAMMAR 15 Marks (45 Periods)
Question No. 6-11
A variety of short questions involving the use of particular structures within a context. Test types used will include cloze, gap-filling, sentence-completion, sentence-reordering, dialogue-completion and sentence-transformation (including combining sentences). The Grammar syllabus will include the following areas for teaching:
1. Use of non-finites.
2. Sentence connectors : as, since, while, then, just because, just, until.
3. Clauses with what, where and how.
4. Past Tense.
5. Modals : can, could, may, must, might.
Note : All other areas covered in Class IX will also be tested in Class X as this is an integrated course for this area of learning.
SECTION D : TEXT BOOKS 45 Marks (95 Periods)
First Flight - NCERT Textbook for Class X
Prose 20 Marks
12 & 13 Two extracts from different prose lessons included in Textbook (Approximately 100 words each) 5x2 = 10 Marks
These extracts chosen from different lessons will be literary and discursive in nature Each extract will be of 5 marks. One mark in each extract will be for vocabulary. 4 marks in each passage will be used for testing local and global comprehension besides a question on interpretation.
14. One out of two questions extrapolative in nature based on any one of the prose lessons from Textbook to be answered in about 80 words. 6 Marks
15. One out of two questions on Drama Text (local and global comprehension question) (30-40 words) 4 Marks
Poetry 10 Marks
16. One extract from a poem from the prescribed reader followed by two or three questions to test the local and global comprehension of the set text. 4 Marks
17. Two out of three short answer type questions on interpretation of themes and ideas contained in the poems to be answered in 30-40 words each. 6 Marks
Foot Prints without Feet - NCERT Supplementary Reader for Class X 15 Marks
18. One out of two questions from Supplementary Reader to interpret, evaluate and analyse character, plot or situations occurring in the lessons to be answered in about 100 words. 8 Marks
19. One out of two short answer type questions of interpretative and evaluative nature based on lessons to be answered in 30-40 words 4 Marks
20. One out of two short answer type questions based on factual aspects of the lessons to be answered in 20-30 words. 3 Marks
Gujarat Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with Gujarat Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on Gujarat Board Syllabus for class 10 Now
Board Sample Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2005
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Hindi 2013-SET-2
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Biology 2011
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Geography 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Science Sample Papers for Class 10 for year 2011
- Bihar Board Class 12 Psychology 2010
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Percussion 2008
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 English (Special Language) 2013-SET-3
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Geography 2013
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 10 Science 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2010
- CBSE Board Class 11 History 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2011
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Core 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Geography 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Geography 2008
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 10 Math 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2009
- CBSE Board Class 9 Math 2005
- Haryana Board Class 12 Fine Arts
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Environmental Studies
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Gujarati (special)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 11 Environmental Studies
- Manipur Board Class 9 Hmar
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Physics
- Bihar Board Class 12 Computer Science
- ICSE Board Class 11 Economics
- Haryana Board Class 12 Accountancy
- CBSE Board 12th Chemistry Syllabus