CBSE Board Class 12 Physics Previous Year Question Papers 2005
CBSE Board Previous Year Question Papers 2005 for Class 12 Physics
1. Is the force acting between two point electric charges q 1 and q.
kept at some distance apart in air, attractive or repulsive when (i) q 1 q2 > 0 (ii) q 1 q 2 > 0 ? 1
2. Show graphically how the stopping potential for a given photosensitive surface varies
with the frequency of incident radiations. 1
3. A TV tower has a height of 71 m. What is the maximum distance upto which TV
transmission can be received ? Given that the radius of the earth = 6.4 × 10
4. Which one of the two diodes D 1 and D 2 in the given figures is (i) forward biased, (ii) reverse biased ? 1
5. Suggest a possible communication channel for the transmission of a message signal
which has a bandwidth of 5 MHz. 1
6. A spherical Gaussian surface encloses a charge of .
(i) Calculate the electric flux passing through the surface.
(ii) How would the flux change if the radius of the Gaussian surface is doubled and
why ? 2
7. In a copper voltameter, the mass of the ions deposited in 30 seconds is m grams. The
current (i) vs. time (t) graph for the experiment is as shown in the given figure.
Calculate the value of E.C.E. of copper in terms of the mass, m, deposited. 2
For a given thermocouple, the emf generated across its ends is given by E = at + bt 2
where t in °C is the temperature of the hot junction, the cold junction being at 0 °C. If
a = 10 µV /°C and b = -0.02 µV/°C2
, calculate the value of inversion temperature
8. In an ammeter (consisting of a galvanometer and a shunt), 0.5% of the main current
passes through the galvanometer. Resistance of the galvanometer coil is G. Calculate
the resistance of the shunt in terms of galvanometer resistance, G. 2
9. An electric bulb B and a parallel plate capacitor C are connected in series to the a.c.
mains as shown in the given figure. The bulb glows with some brightness.
How will the glow of the bulb be affected on introducing a dielectric slab between the plates
of the capacitor ? Give reasons in support of your answer. 2
10. What does the statement, “natural light emitted from the sun is unpolarized” mean in
terms of the direction of electric vector ? Explain briefly how plane polarized light can be
produced by reflection at the interface separating the two media. 2
11. The output of a 2-input NOR gate is fed to a NOT gate. Draw the logic circuit of this
combination of gates and write the truth table for the output of the combination for all
inputs. (i) attractive, (ii) repulsive. 2
12. What is remote sensing ? Write its two applications. 2
13. On what principle does a metre bridge work ? Draw a circuit diagram and explain how
this device can be used for determination of an unknown resistance. 3
14. Derive a mathematical expression for resistivity of a conductor in terms of number
density of charge carries in the conductor and relaxation time. 3
15. State Ampere’s circuital law. Write the expression for the magnetic field at the centre of a
circular coil of radius R carrying a current I. Draw the magnetic field lines due to this
16. Write the expression for the force acting on a charged particle of charge q moving with
in the presence of magnetic field . Show that in the presence of this force
(i) the kinetic energy of the particle does not change.
(ii) its instantaneous power is zero. 3
17. In a series LCR circuit, define the quality factor (Q) at resonance. Illustrate its
significance by giving one example.
Show that power dissipated at resonance in LCR circuit is maximum. 3
18. A circular copper disc 10 cm in radius rotates at a speed of 20 π rad/s about an axis
through its centre and perpendicular to the disc. A uniform magnetic field of 0.2 T acts
perpendicular to the disc.
(i) Calculate the potential difference developed between the axis of the disc and the rim.
(ii) What is the induced current if the resistance of the disc is ? 3
A resistor of and a capacitor of 40 µF are connected in series to 220 V a.c.
source with angular frequency . Calculate the voltages (rms) across the
resistor and the capacitor. Why is the algebraic sum of these voltages more than the
source voltage ? How do you resolve this paradox ?
19. Draw a labelled diagram of Hertz’s experiment. Explain how electromagnetic radiations
are produced using this set-up. 3
20. How does the frequency of a beam of ultraviolet light get affected when it goes from air into glass ?
A ray of light incident on an equilateral glass prism shows minimum deviation of 30°.
Calculate the speed of light through the glass prism. 3
21. An electron, a-particle and a proton have the same de-Broglie wavelength. Which of
these particles has (i) minimum kinetic energy, (ii) maximum kinetic energy, and why ?
In what way has the wave nature of electron been exploited in electron microscope ? 3
22. State the law of radioactive decay. Establish a mathematical relation between half-life
period and disintegration constant of a radioactive nucleus. 3
23. Distinguish between nuclear fission and fusion. In a fusion reaction
calculate the amount of energy (in MeV) released.
24. Draw a schematic diagram of a single optical fibre structure. On what principle does such a
device work ? Explain the mechanism of propagation of light signal through an
optical fibre. 3
25. Derive the expression for the energy stored in a parallel plate capacitor of capacitance C
with air as medium between its plates having charges Q and — Q. Show that this energy can be expressed in terms of electric field as where A is the area of each plate and d is the separation between the plates. How will the energy stored in a fully charged capacitor change when the separation between the plates is doubled and a dielectric medium of dielectric constant 4 is introduced between the plates ? 5
Define the term dipole moment of an electric dipole indicating its direction. Write its SI unit.
An electric dipole is placed in a uniform electric field . Deduce the expression for
the torque acting on it. In a particular situation, it has its dipole moment aligned with
the electric field. Is the equilibrium stable or unstable ?
26. Define the term ‘wavefront’. Draw the wavefront and corresponding rays in the case of a
(i) diverging spherical wave, (ii) plane wave.
Using Huygen’s construction of a wavefront, explain the refraction of a plane wavefront
at a plane surface and hence verify Snell’s law. 5
Derive the relation between the focal length of a convex lens in terms of the radii of curvature of
the two surfaces and refractive index of its material. Write the sign conventions and
two assumptions used in the derivation of this relation,
A convex lens of focal length 40 cm and a concave lens of focal length — 25 cm are
kept in contact with each other. What is the value of power of this combination ?
27. Explain, with the help of a circuit diagram, the use of an n-p-n transistor as an amplifier
in common-emitter configuration. Write the expression for voltage gain of the transistor.
Draw frequency response curve of this amplifier.
How will the current gain of a transistor be affected if its base region is made thicker
as compared to a usual transistor and why ? 5
Draw energy band diagrams for (i) an intrinsic semiconductor, (ii) p-type semiconductor.
Draw symbolic representation of a zener diode. Draw its V-I characteristics and
explain, with the help of a circuit diagram, its use as a voltage regulator
CBSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with CBSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on CBSE Board Previous Year Question Paper for class 12 Now
Board Sample Paper
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2009
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Math 2008
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Social Science 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Accountancy 2009
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Element of Science 2013
- Bihar Board Class 12 History 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sociology 2010
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Elements of Science & Maths for Agriculture 2013-SET-3
- CBSE Board Class 9 English Core 2010
- CBSE Board Entrepreneurship Sample Papers for Class 12 for year 2011
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2008
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Computer Science 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Psychology 2007
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Elective 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Chemistry 2011
- CBSE Board Class 10 Science 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 English Core 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Tamil(special)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Environmental Studies
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 10 Social Reconstruction
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Political Science
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 English (Special Language)
- Rajasthan Board Class 9 Math Syllabus
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Syllabus of Physics
- CBSE Board 12th Accountancy Syllabus
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Business Studies