CBSE Board Class 12 Chemistry Previous Year Question Papers 2009
CBSE Board Previous Year Question Papers 2009 for Class 12 Chemistry
Time allowed : 3 hours Maximum Marks: 70
General Instructions :
(i) All questions are compulsory.
(ii) Marks for each question are indicated against it.
(iii) Question number 1 to 5 are very short-answer questions, carrying 1 mark each.
Answer these in one word or about one sentence each.
(iv) Question number 6 to 12 are short-answer questions, carrying 2 marks each.
Answer these in about 30 words each.
(v) Question number 13 to 24 are short-answer questicms of 3 marks each. Answer
these in about 40 words each.56/1/1 2 [P.T.O.
(vi) Question number 25 to 27are long-answer questions of 5 marks each. Answer
these in about 70 words each.
(vii) Use Log Tables, if necessary. Use of calculators is not permitte
1. What is the number of atoms per unit cell in a body centered cubic structure ? 1
2. Define osmotic pressure. 2
3. For the reaction 1 the rate law is expressed as rate What is the overall order ‘of this reaction ?
4. Write the IUPAC name of the compound: 1
5. Why do nitro compounds have high boiling points in comparison with other
compounds of same molecular mass ? 1
6. State ‘Pauli’s exclusion principle’. Explain giving an example how this principle
limits the maximum occupancy of an energy level in an atom. 2
State ‘Aufbau principle’ and give the order in which the energies of orbitals
increase and hence they are filled in that order. 2
7. A reaction with always has an equilibrium constant value greater than 1. Why ? 2
8. Write balanced chemical equations for the following reactions : 2
(i) Aluminium dissolves in aqueous hydrochloric acid
(ii) Tin reacts with a hot alkali solution
9. Write the structures of the following species: 2
(i) H3 PO2
(ii) H 2 SO5
10. Identify whether the following pairs of compounds are structural or geometrical
isomers : 2
11. How would you account for the following : 2
(i) Phenols are much more acidic than alcohols.
(ii) The boiling points of ethers are much lower than those of the alcohols of
comparable molar masses.
12. Draw the structure of the monomer of each of the following polymers : 2
(i) Polyvinylchloride (PVC) (ii) Nylon-6
13. Write the molecular orbital configurations of the following species and rearrange
them in the increasing order of their bond lengths: 3
14. Explain each of the following with a suitable example: 3
(ii) Piezoelectric effect
(iii) Frenkel defect in crystals
15. In the production of water gas the reaction involved is : 3
For this reaction is + 134 JK _ 1 mol _ 1
Find out the spontaneous feasibility of this
reaction at (i) 25°C and (ii) 1000°C.
16. An antifreeze solution is prepared from 222.6 g of ethylene glycol (C 2 H4 (OH) 2)
and 200 g of water. Calculate the molality of the solution. If the density of this
solution be , what will be the molarity of the solution ? 3
17. The decomposition of NH 3 on platinum surface, is a zero order reaction with . What are the rates of production
of N 2 and H 2?
18. Explain the following terms giving a suitable example in each case : 3
(ii) Homogeneous catalysis
Define adsorption. Write any two features which distinguish physisorption from
19. How would you account for the following ? 3
(i) The lower oxidation state becomes more stable with increasing atomic number
in Group 13.
(ii) Hydrogen fluoride is much less volatile than hydrogen chloride,
(iii) Interhalogen compounds are strong oxidising agents.
20. Wr i t e the name and dr aw the s t ruc tur e of e a ch of the fol lowing compl ex
compounds : 3
21. The net nuclear reaction of a radioactive decay series is written as : 3
Write three pieces of information that you get from the above equation.
22. Give chemical tests to distinguish between the following pairs of compounds : 3
(i) Propanal and propanone
(ii) Methyl acetate and ethyl acetate
(iii) Benzaldehyde and benzoic acid
23. How would you achieve the following conversions : 3
(i) Nitrobenzene to aniline56/1/1 9 [P.T.O.
(ii) An alkyl halide to a quaternary ammonium salt .
(iii) Aniline to benzonitrile
Write the chemical equation with reaction conditions in each case.
24. (i) Give an example of a hybrid propellant. 3
(ii) What are acid dyes ?
(iii) Name a food preservative which is most commonly used by food producers.
25. (a) Describe the general trends in the following properties of the first series of
the transition elements : 3
(i) Stability of +2 oxidation state
(ii) Formation of oxometal ions
(b) Assign reason for each of the following: 2
(i) Transition elements exhibit variable oxidation states
(ii) Transition metal ions are usually coloured
(a) Write the steps involved in the preparation of: 3
(i) K2 Cr 2 O7 from Na 2 CrO4
(ii) KMnO4 from K 2 MnO4
(iii) Calomel from corrosive sublimate
(b) What is meant by lanthanoid contraction ? What effect does it have on the
chemistry of the elements which follow lanthanoids ? 2
26. (a) Calculate the emf of the cell 3
(b) Explain with examples the terms weak and strong electrolytes. 2
(a) The resistance of a conductivity cell containing 0.001 M KC1 solution at
298 K is 1500 Ω. What is the cell constant, if the conductivity of 0.001 M
KCl solution at 298 K is ? 3
b) Predict the products of electrolysis in the following: 2
A solution of with platinum electrodes.
27. (a) Name the three major classes of carbohydrates and give an example of each
of these classes. 3
(b) Answer the following: 2
(i) Wha t type of l inkage i s r e spons ibl e for the pr ima ry s t ruc tur e of
(ii) Name the location where protein synthesis occurs in our body.
(a) How are lipids classified ? Give an example of each class.
(b) Explain the following terms : 2
CBSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with CBSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on CBSE Board Previous Year Question Paper for class 12 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Math 2007
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Sociology 2009
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Math 2009
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Sociology 2005
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science 2007
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Math 2005
- CBSE Board Chemistry Sample Papers for Class 12 for year 2011
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Political Science 2013-SET-2
- West Bengal Board Class 12 Biology Sample Paper Of 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Biology 2005
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Chemistry 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies 2009
- CBSE Board Class 9 Math 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Accountancy 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12th Political Science Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Functional English 2011
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Accountancy
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 Chemistry
- West Bengal Board Class 11 Syllabus For Chemistry
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Sindhi
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Entrepreneurship
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Urdu (special)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Urdu Core
- Manipur Board Class 10 Manipuri
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Business Studies
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Urdu Core