CBSE Board Psychology Syllabus for Class 12
CBSE Board Syllabus for Class 12 Psychology
Class XII (Theory)
One Theory Paper
Psychology, Self and Society
I. Intelligence and Aptitude
II. Self and Personality
III. Human Strengths and meeting the Life Challenges
IV. Psychological Disorders
V. Therapeutic Approaches and counselling.
VI. Attitude and Social Cognition
VII. Social Influence and Group Processes
VIII. Environmental and Social concerns
IX. Applied Psychology
Practicals (Psychological testing, Case Profile etc.)
Psychology, Self and Society
Unit I : Intelligence and Aptitude
The unit aims at studying how people differ with respect to intelligence and aptitude.
Individual differences in intelligence: Theories of Intelligence; Culture and Intelligence; Emotional
intelligence; Aptitude: Nature and types: Assessment of psychological attributes.
Unit II : Self and Personality
This unit focuses on the study of self and personality in the context of different approaches
in an effort to appraise the person. The assessment of personality will also be discussed.
Aspects of self: self concept: Self-esteem and Self-regulation; Culture and self; Personality:
Concept; Approaches to Personality: Type and Trait, Psychodynamic, Humanistic, Behavioural
and Cultural; Assessment of Personality: Self-report Measures, Behavioural Analysis, and Projective Measures.
Unit III : Human Strengths and Meeting Life
This unit deals with the nature of stress and how responses to stress depend on an
individual’s appraisal of stressors. Strategies to cope with stress will also be dealt with.
Life challenge and adjustment; Concept of adaptation; Human strengths and virtues: Nature,
types and effects on psychological functioning; Coping with stress; Concepts of health and well-being;
Life style, health and well-being.
Unit IV: Psychological Disorders
This unit discusses the concepts of normality and abnormality and the major psychological
Concepts of abnormality and psychological disorder, Causal factors associated with abnormal
behaviour, Classification of disorder, Major psychological disorders: Anxiety, Somato-form Dissociative, Mood, Schizophrenic, Developmental and Behavioural Substance Related.
Unit V : Therapeutic Approaches and counselling
This unit discusses the goals, techniques and effectiveness of different approaches to treat
Nature and process of therapy; Nature of therapeutic relationship; Types of therapies: Psychodynamic,
Humanistic, Cognitive, Behaviour; Alternative therapies: Yoga, Meditation; Zen; Rehabilitation
of mentally ill people. Counselling.
Unit VI : Attitude and Social Cognition
This unit focuses on the formation and change of attitudes, cultural influences on
attributional tendencies and conditions influencing pro-social behaviour.
Explaining behaviour through attributions; Social cognition; Schemas and stereotypes; Impression
formation; Nature and components of attitudes; Attitude formation and change; Behaviour in the
presence of others: Pro-social Behaviour; Prejudice and discrimination; Strategies for handling prejudice.
Unit VII : Social Influence and Group Processes
The unit deals with the concept of group, its functions and the dynamics of social influence
process like conformity, obedience and compliance. Different conflict resolution strategies will
also be discussed.
Influence Processess: Nature of Conformity, Obedience, and Compliance: Cooperation and
Competition; Groups: Nature, formation and types; Influence of group on individual behaviour; Social
identity; Inter-Group Conflict; Conflict Resolution Strategies.
Unit VIII: Environmental and Social Concerns
This unit focuses on the application of psychological understanding to some important
Human- environment relationship; Environmental effects on human behaviour. Noise, pollution,
crowding, natural disasters, social issue: Aggression and Violence; Social Inequality and Poverty; Media
and human values; Promoting pro-environmental behaviour, Human rights and citizenship; Peace.
Unit IX: Applied Psychology
This unit introduces some of the important areas of application of psychology.
Application of psychology to following areas :
Psychological testing Practicals
The students shall be required to prepare one case profile and conduct 2 practicals related to the
topics covered in the course. The case profile will include developmental history of the subject, using
both qualitative (observation, interview) and quantitative (Psychological testing) approaches. Practicalswould involve using standardised psychological assessment devices in different domains (e.g. intelligence, personality, aptitude, adjustment, attitude, self-concept, and anxiety).
CBSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with CBSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on CBSE Board Syllabus for class 12 Now
Board Sample Paper
- CBSE Board Class 9 English Core 2005
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2010
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Science 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Core 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sample Paper of Math For 2007
- Gujarat Board Class 10 Math 2005
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Biotechnology 2011
- West Bengal Board Class 12 Biology Sample Paper Of 2011
- Tamilnadu Board Class 12 Home Science Sample Paper Of 2011
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 Functional English 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Political Science 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Core 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 History 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12th Economics Previous Year Question Paper 2007
- CBSE Board Class 10 Math 2007
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 Agriculture
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Music (Hindustani Vocal)
- Rajasthan Board Class 12 English Core(Compulsory)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Marathi (special)
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Marathi (special)
- Bihar Board Class 12 Computer Science
- CBSE Board Class 11 English Elective
- West Bengal Board Class 11 Syllabus For Economics
- CBSE Board Class 11 Sociology
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Tamil(special)