CBSE Board Math Syllabus for Class 12
CBSE Board Syllabus for Class 12 Math
|I.||RELATIONS AND FUNCTIONS||10|
|IV.||VECTORS AND THREE - DIMENSIONAL GEOMETRY||17|
UNIT I. RELATIONS AND FUNCTIONS
1. Relations and Functions : 10 Periods
Types of relations: reflexive, symmetric, transitive and equivalence relations. One to one and onto functions, composite functions, inverse of a function. Binary operations.
2. Inverse Trigonometric Functions: (12) Periods
Definition, range, domain, principal value branches. Graphs of inverse trigonometric functions. Elementary properties of inverse trigonometric functions.
1. Matrices: (18) Periods
Concept, notation, order, equality, types of matrices, zero matrix, transpose of a matrix, symmetric and skew symmetric matrices. Addition, multiplication and scalar multiplication of matrices, simple properties of addition, multiplication and scalar multiplication. Non-commutativity of multiplication of matrices and existence of non-zero matrices whose product is the zero matrix (restrict to square matrices of order 2). Concept of elementary row and column operations. Invertible matrices and proof of the uniqueness of inverse, if it exists; (Here all matrices will have real entries).
2. Determinants: (20) Periods
Determinant of a square matrix (up to 3 x 3 matrices), properties of determinants, minors, cofactors and applications of determinants in finding the area of a triangle. Adjoint and inverse of a square matrix. Consistency, inconsistency and number of solutions of system of linear equations by examples, solving system of linear equations in two or three variables (having unique solution) using inverse of a matrix.
1. Continuity and Differentiability: (18) Periods
Continuity and differentiability, derivative of composite functions, chain rule, derivatives of inverse trigonometric functions, derivative of implicit function.Concept of exponential and logarithmic functions and their derivative. Logarithmic differentiation. Derivative of functions expressed in parametric forms. Second order derivatives. Rolle's and Lagrange's Mean Value Theorems (without proof) and their geometric interpretations.
2. Applications of Derivatives: (10) Periods
Applications of derivatives: rate of change, increasing/decreasing functions, tangents & normals, approximation, maxima and minima (first derivative test motivated geometrically and second derivative test given as a provable tool). Simple problems (that illustrate basic principles and understanding of the subject as well as real-life situations).
3. Integrals: (20) Periods
Integration as inverse process of differentiation. Integration of a variaty of functions by substitution, by partial fractions and by parts, only simple integrals of the type to be evaluated.
Definite integrals as a limit of a sum, Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (without proof). Basic properties of definite integrals and evaluation of definite integrals.
4. Applications of the Integrals: (10) Periods
Applications in finding the area under simple curves, especially lines, areas of circles/ parabolas/ellipses (in standard form only), area between the two above said curves (the region should be clearly identifiable).
5. Differential Equations: (10) Periods
Definition, order and degree, general and particular solutions of a differential equation. Formation of differential equation whose general solution is given. Solution of differential equations by method of separation of variables, homogeneous differential equations of first order and first degree. Solutions of linear differential equation of the type:
dy/dx+ py = q, where p and q are functions of x.
UNIT-IV: VECTORS AND THREE-DIMENSIONAL GEOMETRY
1. Vectors: (12) Periods
Vectors and scalars, magnitude and direction of a vector. Direction cosines/ratios of vectors. Types of vectors (equal, unit, zero, parallel and collinear vectors), position vector of a point, negative of a vector, components of a vector, addition of vectors, multiplication of a vector by a scalar, position vector of a point dividing a line segment in a given ratio. Scalar (dot) product of vectors, projection of a vector on a line. Vector (cross) product of vectors.
2. Three - dimensional Geometry: (12) Periods
Direction cosines/ratios of a line joining two points. Cartesian and vector equation of a line, coplanar and skew lines, shortest distance between two lines. Cartesian and vector equation of a plane. Angle between (i) two lines, (ii) two planes. (iii) a line and a plane. Distance of a point from a plane.
UNIT-V: LINEAR PROGRAMMING
1. Linear Programming: (12) Periods
Introduction, definition of related terminology such as constraints, objective function, optimization, different types of linear programming (L.P.) problems, mathematical formulation of L.P. problems, graphical method of solution for problems in two variables, feasible and infeasible regions, feasible and infeasible solutions, optimal feasible solutions (up to three non-trivial constraints).
1. Probability: (18) Periods
Multiplication theorem on probability. Conditional probability, independent events, total probability, Baye's theorem, Random variable and its probability distribution, mean and variance of random variable. Repeated independent (Bernoulli) trials and Binomial distribution.
1) Mathematics Part I - Textbook for Class XII, NCERT Publication
2) Mathematics Part II - Textbook for Class XII, NCERT Publication
CBSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with CBSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on CBSE Board Syllabus for class 12 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Tamilnadu Board Class 12 Zoology Sample Paper Of 2011
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 11 Math 2011
- ICSE Board Class 10 Biology 2009
- CBSE Board Class 8 Science 2009
- West Bengal Board Class 12 English Core Sample Paper Of 2011
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Biology 2009
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 History 2013-SET-2
- CBSE Board Class 11 Economics 2007
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Sociology 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Sociology 2008
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 11 Political Science 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Business Studies 2005
- CBSE Board Class 12 English Elective 2005
- CBSE Board Class 11 Physics 2011
- ICSE Board Class 10 Geography 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2008
- CBSE Board Class 10 Social Science 2009
- CBSE Board Class 12 Psychology 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 Science 2005
- CBSE Board Class 11 Chemistry 2005
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Psychology
- CBSE Board 12th Physics Syllabus
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 11 Business Studies
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 10 Commerce
- Gujarat Board Class 12 Psychology
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Business Studies
- ICSE Board Class 11 Home Science
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 English Core
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Economics
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 French