CBSE Board Business Studies Syllabus for Class 11
CBSE Board Syllabus for Class 11 Business Studies
One Paper 3 Hours 100 Marks
Units Periods Marks
Part A: Foundations of Business
1. Nature and Purpose of Business 20 08
2. Forms of Business Organisations 24 12
3. Public, Private and Global Enterprises 20 08
4. Business Services 18 10
5. Emerging Modes of Business 10 06
6. Social Responsibility of Business and Business Ethics
Part B : Finance and Trade
7. Sources of business finance 28 14
8. Small Business 14 06
9. Internal Trade 28 12
10. International Business 12 08
11. Project Work 22 10
A Part: Foundations of Business (Periods 104)
Unit 1: Nature and purpose of business: 20 Periods
• Concept and characteristics of business.
• Business, profession and employment - distinctive features.
• Objectives of business - economic and social, role of profit in business
• Classification of business activities: Industry and Commerce.
• Industry - types: primary, secondary, tertiary.
• Commerce - trade: types (internal, external, wholesale and retail; and auxiliaries to trade:
banking, insurance, transportation, warehousing, communication, and advertising.
• Business risks - nature and causes.
Unit 2: Forms of Business Organisations (Periods 24)
• Sole Proprietorship- meaning, features, merits and limitations.
• Partnership- Features, types, merits and limitations of partnership and partners, registration
of a partnership firm, partnership deed. Type of partners.
• Hindu Undivided Family Business: features.
• Cooperative Societies- features, types, merits and limitations.
• Company: private and public company -features, merits and limitations.
• Formation of a company- stages.
• Starting a business - basic factors.
Unit 3: Public, Private & Global Enterprises (Periods 20)
• Private sector and public sector enterprises.
• Forms of public sector enterprises: features, merits and limitations of departmental
undertakings, statutory corporation and Government Company.
• Changing role of public sector enterprises.
• Global enterprises, Joint ventures, Public Private Partnership - features
Unit 4: Business Services (Periods 18)
• Banking: types of bank accounts- savings, current, recurring, fixed deposit and multiple
option deposit account.
• Banking services with particular reference to issue of bank draft, banker's cheque (Pay
order), RTGS (Real Time Gross Settlement) NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer),
bank overdraft, cash credits and e- banking.
• Insurance: principles, concept of life, health, fire and marine insurance.
• Postal and telecom services: mail (UPC, registered post, parcel, speed post and courier)
and other services.
Unit 5: Emerging Modes of Business (Periods 10)
• E-Business - scope and benefits, resources required for successful e-business
implementation, online transactions, payment mechanism, security and safety of business
• Outsourcing-concept, need and scope of BPO (business process outsourcing) and KPO
(knowledge process outsourcing).
Unit 6: Social Responsibility of Business and Business Ethics (Periods 12)
• Concept of social responsibility.
• Case for social responsibility.
• Responsibility towards owners, investors, consumers, employees, government and
• Environment protection and business.
• Business ethics and elements.
Part B: Finance and Trade (Periods 104)
Unit 7: Sources of business finance (Periods 28)
• Concept of business finance.
• Owner's funds - equity shares, preference shares, GDR, ADR & IDR and retained earnings.
• Borrowed funds- debentures and bonds, loan from financial institutions, loans from
commercial banks, public deposits, trade credit, ICD (inter corporate deposits).
Unit 8: Small Business (Periods 14)
• Small scale enterprise as defined by MSMED Act 2006 (Micro ,Small and Medium
Enterprise Development Act)
• Role of small business in India with special reference to Rural Areas
• Government schemes and agencies for small scale industries: NSIC (National Small
industries Corporation) and DIC (District Industrial Center) with special reference to
rural, backward & hilly areas.
Unit 9: International Trade (Periods 28)
• Services rendered by a wholesaler and a retailer
• Types of retail trade- itinerant and small scale fixed shops
• Large scale retailers- departmental stores, chain stores, mail order business.
• Concept of automatic vending machine.
• Chambers of Commerce and Industry: basic functions
• Main documents used in internal trade: Performa invoice, invoice, debit note, credit
note, LR(Lorry Receipt) and RR(Railway Receipt)
• Terms of Trade : COD (Cash on Delivery), FOB(Free on Board ) ,CIF (Cost,
Insurance and Freight), E&OE (Errors and Omissions Excepted)
Unit 10: International (Periods 12)
• Concept and problems of international trade.
• Export import procedure and documents.
• Role of WTO
CBSE Board Best Sellers
In order to keep pace with technological advancement and to cope up with CBSE Board examinations, Pearson group has launched Edurite to help students by offering Books and CDs of different courses online.
Get help on CBSE Board Syllabus for class 11 Now
Board Sample Paper
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Chemistry 2013-SET-4
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Math 2009
- Gujarat Board Class 11 Geography 2008
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Percussion 2008
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 11 Business Studies 2008
- CBSE Board Class 12 Psychology 2009
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Economics 2009
- Karnataka Board Class 10 Home Science Sample Paper Of 2011
- Andhra Pradesh Board Class 12 Physics 2009
- CBSE Board 10 Math Sample Paper
Previous Year Paper
- CBSE Board Class 12 Math 2009
- CBSE Board Class 11 History 2008
- CBSE Board Class 11 Math 2007
- CBSE Board Class 11 Physics 2010
- CBSE Board Class 12 Biology 2011
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2005
- CBSE Board Class 10 Science 2007
- CBSE Board Class 10 Functional English 2007
- CBSE Board Class 12 Economics 2011
- CBSE Board Class 9 Science 2011
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 12 Music (Hindustani Vocal)
- CBSE Board 12th Functional English Syllabus
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 10 Urdu Core
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 12 Socially Useful Productive Work
- Rajasthan Board Class 11 Business Studies
- Himachal Pradesh Board Class 10 English Literature
- Madhya Pradesh Board Class 9 Tamil(special)
- Haryana Board Class 8 Punjabi
- Maharashtra Board Class 11 Physics
- Rajasthan Board Class 9 Math Syllabus